Lan Nguyen was elected as Governing Board Member of the East Side Union High School District (ESUHSD) in 2004. He was reelected to serve the ESUHSD community in 2008, 2012 and 2016. He currently serves as Chair of the ESUHSD Board Audit Committee. Lan was selected by his fellow Board members to serve as Board President in 2007, 2010, 2012, and 2016.
Lan's goals and priorities include:
- Provide each and every student the support they need to succeed
- Prepare students for college by strengthening the curriculum in math, science, technology, writing, and literacy
- Ensure fiscal accountability by effectively managing the District's funds
- Attract and retain dedicated teachers with more resources and training
- Ensure safe school environment by promoting collaboration among teachers, administrators, parents, and community members
In addition to serving on the Governing Board, Lan is employed as a program manager for the Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services Department and has been with the County since 2000. Prior to his employment with the County, Lan worked as mental health clinician and administrator at various community-based organizations providing counseling and social support services to Santa Clara County's diverse communities and families.
Before being elected to the ESUHSD Governing Board, Lan served as board member and advisory board member for various non-profit organizations, including the Asian American Recovery Services Inc. (AARS), Viet-Heritage Foundation, and Santa Clara County Community Health Center Board.
Lan has been a resident of the East Side community since 1984. He is a graduate of Andrew P. Hill High School. He earned a B.A. degree in Business Administration and Psychology from San Jose State University and an M.A. degree in Counseling Psychology from John F. Kennedy University.