skip to main content

Interdistrict Transfer Process

Board Policy states that students residing in East Side Union High School District will attend the school to which they are assigned. Under certain circumstances, and when space is available, a student may be granted an interdistrict transfer to attend another school district. Transfers may be granted for the following reasons:
  • Sibling: An interdistrict transfer permit may be issued or approved by the District when the qualified applicant has a sibling attending school in the receiving district to avoid splitting the family’s attendance.
  • Change in Residence:
  • When the student’s family moves out of the District during the last 60 calendar days of the school year and written application is made by the parent/guardian to request that the student complete the school year in the current school.
  • When the student’s family will be living out of the district of residence for one school year or less.
  • To allow a high school senior to attend the same school he/she attended as a junior, even if his/her family moved out of the district during their junior year.
  • When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving to the receiving district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in that district.
  • Special Program: Enrollment in an academic program not provided by East Side Union High School District. Written documentation regarding the requested program, and confirmation that the student is/can be enrolled in said program, needs to be provided with this request.
  • Professional Courtesy:Parent/Guardian is employed by Requested District. An interdistrict transfer permit is usually issued or approved as a courtesy if a parent/guardian is employed by the receiving school District.
  • Health and Safety:Written documentation from a doctor verifying physical or mental need must be provided. An interdistrict transfer permit may be issued or approved by the District when a student, because of special physical or mental need, is unable to attend a school in the district of residence. Such a need must be certified by a licensed physician and/or school psychologist. A pupil who has been determined by personnel of either the school district of residence or the school district of proposed enrollment to have been the victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900.
Conditions for Transfer:
  • This transfer is valid for this school year only. An application of renewal must be submitted annually.
  • New requests for the next academic year are accepted starting the first working day of March.
  • Renewal requests for the next academic year are accepted starting the first working day of February.
A student may be considered and may remain on an interdistrict transfer if the student maintains:
  • Satisfactory school attendance
  • Satisfactory behavior
  • Satisfactory grades
  • If the student granted the interdistrict transfer is identified as needing Special Education, the transfer will be held in abeyance pending evaluation and placement by the home district.
  • Special Education placement in a district program must be mutually agreed upon by both districts when Special Education services are necessary. Transportation is the sole responsibility of the parent.
  • Transportation services will not be provided by East Side Union High School District.
  • The use of false information to secure a transfer will invalidate any transfer request.
  • Right to Appeal: Parents have the right to appeal the decision made and must do so in writing. All correspondence should be addressed to: Director of Student Services, 830 N. Capitol Ave. San Jose, CA 95133.