In the event of a terrorist attack, the East Side Union High School District will take appropriate measures in line with the local Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS) response. The District will be in contact with the San Jose Police Department and the Office of Emergency Service to help determine the action to be taken. Specific actions are listed below in the event of national and/or regional/local attack. We believe a local attack is the least likely event to occur.
Per Government Code Section 3100 et seq., during a disaster, public employees become "Disaster Service Workers." As Disaster Service Workers, we will be called upon to serve at our work sites unless otherwise directed by local authorities. The four bullets below provide direction for employees:
- If a crisis occurs during an employee's regular work schedule, the employee is to remain at his/her respective work site until officially released by the supervisor. Principals/designees will take into consideration the familial needs of employees and release staff accordingly.
- If a crisis occurs when an employee is on his/her way home from work and children have been dismissed, he/she should continue on and tune in to television and/or radio stations and be available to be reached by telephone for further direction.
- If a crisis occurs when an employee is on his/her way home from work and children have NOT been dismissed, the employee should return to his/her work site immediately, conditions permitting.
- If a crisis occurs when an employee is on his/her way to work, he/she should continue on if roads are passable. If he/she is unable to make it to work due to impassable roads and/or hazardous conditions, he/she should contact his/her work site and inform them of his/her location.
- If a crisis occurs at a time that is NOT during an employee's regular work schedule, the employee is to report to work at his/her regular place and time (business as usual) unless notified by telephone, television, or radio announcement to do otherwise.